Friday, August 24, 2012

Trial and Error: Saran Wrap Nail Tutorial

Another stressful and heavy week if about to end, At least we have another long weekend ahead of us, Philippines! I really find polish changes relaxing. Here's a tutorial on Saran Wrap Nails!

Here is a close-up from my instagram. You can follow me on @sairamargarita, by the way :D You can also click on the photos to make them bigger.




Well, if you ask me, I don't know if I would ever do this again. But at least it's out of my system. I feel like it's so much effort for nails that look almost like the Shatter effect.


Nonetheless, they are very pretty and I'm sure they will make a good conversation piece for the next week or so. I like how it looks like I applied gold leaf.

LR: Sally Hansen SALON MANICURE Top Coat, OPI Glitzerland, Essie Cute As A Button, Sally Hansen SALON MANICURE Base Coat





Indecisive me did another swatch test on matte tape! Like I said before, I like matte tape for testing out the true colors of each polish because the nail is not opaque. L-R from Top-Bottom: China Glaze Smoke and Ashes, BR Cranberry Saucy. Essie Cute As A Button, OPI My Address Is Hollywood, OPI The One That Got Away, China Glaze Dress Me Up, all side by side with OPI Glitzerland. I was sure I wanted to use OPI Glitzerland, I just didn't know with what.


 And here's the trial and error part. I originally thought I wanted to start with a pink base and crinkle up the Glitzerland...


...But then I ended up with this! I wasn't too happy with how the glitter was so transparent and barely popped out of the pink.


Looking at it now, it looks okay, pretty even. But while I was doing it I wasn't happy with it. So I just got some polish remover, swiped it all off and tried again.



The difficult part about this Saran Wrap technique is that you have to wait for your nails to be absolutely dry. So I started over with OPI Glitzerland as my base, and waited for it to dry completely.



While that was happening, I got ready with my 10 small pieces of Saran Wrap. The good thing about having a glass drafting table is that the plastic pieces stuck to it.


Trial run number 2: Satisfied!


This is just showing you what I did. I put on a thick layer of Essie Cute As A Button, then laid a crinkled-up piece of Saran Wrap over the whole nail. I didn't dab at it multiple times, just one big overlay, with no repetitions.


And voila! Happy with my nails now. :)


 It is rather pretty, don't you think? But I don't know if I would really like to do this again in the near future. It was kind of hard work, especially since I wasn't happy with the turn-out so I had to repeat it all over again. Hehe :)

'Til the next post!



1 comment: